- Low in Calories: Barnyard millet has highly digestible protein and has the least caloric density.
- It has an excellent source of dietary fibre with a good amount of both soluble and insoluble fractions.
- Good Source of Iron: According to research, varieties of barnyard millet possess high amounts of iron.
- Low Glycemic Index: The carbohydrate content is low and slowly digestible, thus making it a low glycemic index food.
- The carbohydrates in millet show a high degree of retrogradation of amylase, which facilitates the formation of higher amounts of resistant starch.